Everyday has a Moment.....


A moment is defined as a particular period of importance, influence, or significance. Our lives are made in the moments.
They change us, grow us, make us who we are, and they happen all the time. Welcome to our moments.....


Monday, September 13, 2010

Don't forget the "s"

Today we start speech group for Quint. He has been getting speech services since he was 2. We have graduated to going to a group at a local elementary school. I keep thinking we are making so much progress, "he doesn't need speech anymore...right?". This morning we went to speech, and in the back of my mind I was thinking he is doing so much better he will probably test out of it now. Well, they worked on the letter "s" and I realized without a lot of prompting, he always leaves off the "s" on the front of words. Speech class is not a huge deal but I don't think anyone wants their child to have an IEP. Even if the cause was chronic ear infections as a young child.

I remember the first time I was clued in to Quint's delayed speech. We were at our 2 year old check up. I was so proud of my little man. I thought he was doing great, until

Doctor "so does he have 50 words?"
Me (in my head) who has fifty words at age 2!
Me out loud "I think he has more like 3-5"

Doctor "He had tubes put in last spring, so he may benefit from speech services to catch him up" "he is probably just a little behind because he couldn't hear very well all last winter". "here is the # to have him assessed."

Me: "I thought he was just kinda quiet, not very verbal, like his daddy"

I guess I should have noticed, but I was proactive and we were assessed. Since then we have been working on it. I guess we are not ready to be done yet. I will continue to get Quint to speech until his teacher thinks he is ready to graduate:)

No comments: