Everyday has a Moment.....


A moment is defined as a particular period of importance, influence, or significance. Our lives are made in the moments.
They change us, grow us, make us who we are, and they happen all the time. Welcome to our moments.....


Wednesday, February 9, 2011

To change your day...


Do you ever feel God just sent a person to change your day?

BACKSTORY
I have been feeling a bit down
maybe it is winter
but i have struggled to see the joy in the routine

My Moment:
Today we desperately needed food.
The snow and cold have been deterring us
but today we had to go.

The plan was go to Aldi's
it is not our favorite shopping experience,
but it is super cheap
so we go.
The boys and I were trekking through Aldi's
and an older woman asked
"are they all yours?" (referring to the boys)
Yes, I responded, unsure what she might say next...
She paused, made eyes at Rhett and said

"you are triple blessed"

I paused and took it in,
Rhett in his car seat taking up nearly the whole cart,
Russell and Quint dragging our cloth Aldi's bags
(probably creating a hole)
and us taking up the entire aisle
(which is not good for Aldi's because you can't go around)

Immediately I realized,
I am focused on the chaos,
and I should be focused on my blessings.

We are triple blessed.

My attitude changed immediately, I was enjoying Aldi's
I could see the beauty in the chaos.

But it didn't last long...
A few minutes later we were checking out,
I was trying to pay, transfer carts (Aldis special requirement), and wrangle the older boys
when I noticed a cute older woman in a wheelchair watching me.
I didn't think much of it at first,
I basically feel like a sideshow whenever I am in public with all the boys
so staring is not rare.
I was feeling a little crazy as we began to pull away
she spoke up to the boys

"your mom is very together and organized"

I paused again

Immediately I thought:
"You obviously have not met me...
I am a hot mess"

but I decided to spare her the details and just said to her:
"I am just faking it"

She responded with continued encouragement
"well you fake it very well"

I paused again,
Was she crazy or did I actually look like I had it together?
we had made it through Aldis without a meltdown or breaking anything
I guess I had been very successful so far
again, I saw the joy in the chaos.

I thanked her, and
With a bit more spring in my step
I heaved my cart, loaded down with groceries, an baby seat, and two boys hanging off the sides.
As the automatic doors opened the cold attacked my face and hands
but I fought off my inclination to be angry at the weather
I said to the boys
"hang on we are going fast to the car like lightning McQueen"

After loading the car full of boys and groceries
and returning my cart to get my quarter
(another Aldi's special)
I could hardly feel my fingers...
but I felt warm inside.

My trip to Aldi's had changed my day

Not one, but two people sharing just a few words,
but words I needed to hear today

Some may say coincidence
I say providence.





2 comments:

Derricca said...

feeling this too....great post.

Alicia_34 said...

I enjoyed this...thanks for sharing!