Everyday has a Moment.....


A moment is defined as a particular period of importance, influence, or significance. Our lives are made in the moments.
They change us, grow us, make us who we are, and they happen all the time. Welcome to our moments.....


Thursday, September 3, 2009

Lost

BK and I have gone to the dark side, we are addicted to the show Lost. Nearly every night we watch an episode. Recently it occured to me, sometimes I wish we lived a little more like we were trapped on an island.

Imagine how different life would be if we were focused on survival.

What if we stressed about obtaining food, shelter, and water and not all the other superficial things we get caught up in now.?

What if our only concern was protecting our family?

What if, we just focused on the basics?

What if our lives revolved around living, family, community, being rescued, and God?

Despite how romantic the idea of a tropical island sounds, I am sure that if I were trapped on an island with BK, Quint, and Russell I would miss some of our basic luxuries. I would long for a strip mall, or a nice, long, hot shower. Although I think I would love the diet plan for the first few weeks, I would get over eating fish and fruit. And, even though I despise doing laundry, I would long for any form of washing machine, and I would not care if it was front loading.

But, then I thought is there a lesson to be learned here? Could I have the hot shower, and the peace of only focusing on the basics?

Truthfully, probably not.

But, I could try.

There will always be the security of my home, Costco, and a running faucet. But, I hope that next time I catch myself worrying about something superficial, I will check myself. I will remember what would "really matter" if I was trapped on an island. Hopefully, that will bring me back to reality. Hopefully, I will take a moment to realize how blessed I am to have a clean faucet, to have shelves full of warehouse shopping food, to live in our castle apartment, and to have healthy loving family.

And they say you can't learn anything from prime time TV:)

No comments: